Friday, September 2, 2011

A beacon of restraint.

Well, our quaint firearms laws once again vilify the victim and send a message to the criminal class, "we are indeed legally helpless against your thuggery". At least his sentence was suspended. What a world. We give this guy a battle rifle in Vietnam and tell him to kill commies for democracy. Now, we tell him he can't pick up a shotgun to defend his own land and livelihood. I now know the feeling of national shame, even if I'm a part of the minority in that regard.

On a happier note I picked up two rifles today after jumping through a half dozen authoritarian hoops. I'd heard stories about how some police officers go less by the letter of the law and more about "what they feel comfortable with" but I experienced it in full yesterday and it opened the floodgates of my anger toward our loss of freedom. Apparently four dynabolts through the base of a gunsafe into dense concrete does not constitute "securing against easy removal" to the officer in question. 

"It wiggles a fair bit at the top, doesn't it...", was the response. "Is there a reason you didn't bolt it to the wall?"

"Well...", says I. "The wall is made of crappy cinder block. If those bricks survived the dynabolts they certainly wouldn't survive a concerted effort to lever the safe away from the wall..."

"But I've never seen one wobble at the top like this..."

I read out loud from the piece of paper she'd just handed me regarding my responsibilities as a firearms owner.
"The receptacle must be bolted down or otherwise secured in such a fashion as to prevent easy removal."

"Yes", says she. "I'm not satisfied that this is the case here..."

I take a deep, calming breath. I wanted desperately to respond, "well why don't you go ahead and show me just how easy it is to remove?" At times like these you start weighing your desire to fight the man against practicality. The wise voice tells you that fighting the man at his own game is for mugs, especially when you live in a small town where the law enforcement officers aren't likely to forgive and forget.

"Tell you what", says I. "I'll bolt it to the wall if it makes you feel better..."

Perhaps sensing that I spared her an hour of argument and a call to her supervisor (on his day off) she shared in the spirit of diplomacy.

"In that case", she replied, "I'll fax the paperwork straight away."

5 comments:

  1. Are you kidding me...a police officer must inspect your home? Really? Bubba, we have Mexicans walking across our border by the hour, one nice guy like you should not have a problem at all with a simple plane ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have learned sometimes it is easier to smile and give them what they want till I get what I want when dealing with bureaucrats. No point in putting an unnecessary target on your back. You have to ask yourself "is this a hill I want to die on" or do I want to fight another day.
    Duke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off Stephen sent me
    Next having a cop inspect our safe is crazy I dont own one but aren't they pretty heavy? I'm with Stephen on this one come to America brother we have the 2nd amendment an the super bowl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all the newcomers.
    It's an honour to get an invite to the country of people I consider distant comrades. I have family considerations. Were I single I'd be in the Marines already, but fact is my wife and sons are what turned my eyes to the future in the first place. Without them I'd probably still be living week to week on junk food in Metropolis.

    ReplyDelete