Sunday, August 14, 2011

A wish for fish.

I had a talk today with a guy that runs a trout farm not far from my town. I imagine a lot of preppers like myself have often wondered how feasible it is to establish and maintain their own fish population. The brief run-down I was given made that possibility seem unlikely at best. Of course, the devil's advocate in me suggested that this man was perhaps exaggerating the difficulties involved in order to avoid competition springing up in the area but that thought was quickly scuttled when I saw one of his co-workers bucketing out food into the hatchery ponds (where they turn small fish into big fish). I don't know how much that food costs per kilo but after scaling two fish (and by that I mean giving up after the first and getting my wife to do the second) I came to the conclusion that rabbits and chickens are more economical in just about every conceivable way.  I'm yet to look into Aquaponics in any great detail but for now I think I'll stick to the K.I.S.S. motto (Keep It Simple, Stupid).

On the political side of things I was amused at the response of the London police to having a Californian "super-cop" contracted by parliament for the purposes of providing insight on how to prevent any more rioting (looting) and gang activity (more than one looter in the same store). Apparently they're not interested in the tutelage of the officer that presided over the 1992 Rodney King riots in the city that still boasts some 400 (known) gangs. Go figure...
 

In all seriousness, the London riots should have been a wake-up call to everybody who thought "it'll never happen here". London may not be "here" per-se, but it's certainly "here-ish" if you know what I mean. It should also serve as reminder of how foolish our gun laws are. Trying to defend your home, family and business from a group of hooded thugs when you're armed with little more than a baseball bat and a prayer is patently ridiculous. 

Still, I do not advocate breaking firearms laws or any other laws. It just so happens that you may legally own firearms for other purposes, and if forced to choose between surrendering your life and/or livelihood to criminals you can make the no-brainer decision about whether to act and face possible prosecution later OR go feotal and hope for the best.

On a lighter note we can all breath a sigh of relief. Those hundreds of rapists and murderers that seem to gravitate to the Taxi industry will no longer be a threat to us. Instead they'll be painting our fences, mowing our back yard or doing other cash in hand work that doesn't require background checks. What's the plan here? Are they going to get their pink slip, step out of their cab and vanish into this air? Banished to a dimension reserved for evildoers? No. They'll go on the dole with a renewed hatred for society. Perhaps I'm an old softy but aren't you supposed to serve your time and then go about the rest of your life without being lynched? Seems like the local politicians are looking for a few witches to burn...

No comments:

Post a Comment